Big Stevens Creek Baptist Church is a faithful descendant of Daniel Marshall’s church planting efforts of the late 1700’s. Founded in 1762, Big Stevens Creek became the center of activities for Daniel Marshall as he branched out to establish other churches. This activity paved the way for Big Stevens Creek to become known as the “Mother of Churches” for this area. From it came, Horns Creek in 1768, Republican in 1805, Mt. Zion in 1829 and Sweetwater in 1832. While these churches are located in South Carolina, Kiokee Baptist Church in Georgia was also started from Big Stevens Creek.
Throughout its history, Big Stevens Creek has undergone many physical changes. The first permanent structure was a 30×26 feet structure erected in 1766. According to records in the Edgefield County Probate Judges office (Deed Book 35, page 149), Covington Hardy gave to the church one acre of land and a wooden structure known as Hardy’s Meeting House. This building served the church from 1818 until 1973. In August of 1973, Big Stevens Creek held it’s first service in the church’s first brick structure. One month later, the church celebrated its first in-door baptismal service in its own facility. This building was annexed in 1979 to provide more education space for the church’s growing Sunday School.
In September 1980, the church took its greatest step forward in faith as it voted to call a full time pastor. In December of the same year, Lansing Tinsley accepted the call to pastor and served the church until failing health caused him to step down in 1988. Larry Scales assumed the pastorate in 1988 as the second full time pastor in church history, and served until December 1999. On June 23, 2000 the church called Phillip C. Burden as pastor. Tommy Meador began his ministry as pastor on October 25, 2009. In recent years, the church has added other full time ministers as the church has needed.
Due to steady continual growth, Big Stevens Creek began its most recent step forward as it moved into a new worship center and education facility. With its new structure and remodeled facilities, the church is set to meet the needs of the Merriwether Community in the new millennium. With the ability to seat 440 in worship and approximately 350 in Sunday School, Big Stevens Creek is anxious as to what the future holds.
In 2006, the church dedicated and opened it’s new Family Life Center/Recreation Outreach Center. This building houses a complete kitchen facility, new Youth area/classrooms, Choir Rooms and a full service gym/meeting area/presentation areas to include 3 full basketball courts that sponsor an annual Upward Basketball/Cheerleading league as well as other church and community related events.
While the church is still located on its original site, none of the original structures exist. Through the years, facilities have grown and changed to meet the needs of the membership. Having survived the ravages of the Indian Wars, the American Revolution and the Civil War, the church and its people have stood strong for almost 250 years. Big Stevens Creek has and continues to strive to be a New Testament Church that seeks to know Christ and make Him known to our community and our world. This is the driving force behind every ministry of the church. Big Stevens Creek looks forward to the future as we continue to share Christ in the CSRA and around the world.